I found the blog Stand and Deliver while I was pregnant in 2008-2009. It has many, many interesting posts, but one stuck out to me in particular. It is a post about an alternative GBS treatment plan.
When a pregnant woman is found to be GBS+ in pregnancy, she is routinely given antibiotics in labor so that she doesn’t pass on the infection to her baby. If untreated, it can cause serious complication and even death, albeit rarely.
Here is the alternative GBS+ treatment plan posted:
Twice a day, with breakfast and dinner:
- Acidophilus or pro-biotic supplement: 4 billion cells per dose
- Echinacea: Two 350 mg (each) capsules
- Garlic: Two 580 mg (each) capsules
- Vitamin C: 500-2000 mg (0.5-2 grams), with 200 mg bioflavonoids
- Grapefruit seed extract: 15 drops
- Homeopathic Streptococcinum 200X
3. Once per day (until finished)
- Herbal-C suppositories, by Bezweken
2014 Update: When I was pregnant with my second child I tested positive for GBS, did a bunch of research and decided to get the two doses of IV antibiotics in labor to reduce the risk of passing the infection on to my daughter. I have seen these babies, sick, at birth and I felt that an IV of antibiotics wasn’t a problem for me.
2016 Update: With my third birth, I decided to get the antibiotics again. But this time I had even more antibiotics – before labor (tooth abscess), during labor (GBS +) and postpartum (UTI). I am now battling yeast and a few other health concerns. This isn’t a black and white issue! Do your research and make great decisions, ladies.