A Complete Homebirth Supplies List That Will Get You Ready
Here is a list of all the home birth supplies I need to get together for the birth. Enjoy!
My Midwife’s Home Birth Supplies List
For the Bed
- 2 sets of sheets
- plastic sheet (fitted or plastic shower curtain)
- pillows (can be covered with plastic liners)
Instructions For Making the Bed
- Make the bed with one set of sheets.
- Next, put the plastic sheet on the bed.
- Put the second set of sheets on (for birth).
For the Birth:
- 3 towels
- 4 washcloths (for warm compresses to prevent tearing)
- 8 receiving blankets – these will get messy!
- 2 baby hats
- 1 package of 18 disposable underpads (aka chux pads or doggy peepee pads)
- 1 small unopened bottle of olive oil
- flashlight with batteries
- unopened tube of KY jelly
- crockpot with fresh ginger root (for warm compresses to prevent tearing)
- heating pad/hot water bottle
- deep bowl for placenta
- 4 thick black garbage bags
- bendable straws
- 1 roll each of paper towels and toilet paper
- oil or lotion for massage
- hair ties
- water bottle
- gatorade or other sports drink
- gallon size Ziploc bags
For After the Birth:
- maternity pads and/or adult diapers
- plastic squeeze bottle (peri bottle)
- pre-soak stain remover
- laundry detergent
- juice, high -protein meal
Plan to have some help in the house for two weeks, including help with housework and meals.
For the Baby:
- a supply of onesies, gowns, sleepers, etc.
- receiving blankets
Especially during transition, encouragement, reminders of what’s normal and affirmations are KEY to moving through transition unmedicated.
Mother Rising sells both birth affirmations AND bible verses for birth. Head on over here to Etsy to take a look. They’re so gorgeous they may just end up as a back drop to your next post birth group photo! 😉
My Homebirth Supplies List
Here are the homebirth supplies I added to supplement my midwife’s list above.
For the Birth:
- phone call list for people who need the dirty details
- snacks, food and drinks for everybody at the birth
- music, my iphone and chargers
- camera with batteries charged and memory card empty
- rice sock
- lip balm
- birth ball inflated to maximum capacity
- birth rules to post for non-birthy people to read and comply to (seriously)
- Binsi Labor and Birth Apparel (or Pretty Pushers)
For a Waterbirth:
- Aquaborn Birth Pool with Deluxe Kit
- extra towels
- flannel backed tablecloth to put under the pool (flannel side up so there is a non-slippery place to stand when getting out)
- blanket for beneath the pool for extra cushion (I have wood floors)
- make sure my hot water heater is working appropriately
- large pots to boil water in just in case it doesn’t work appropriately
- Thank you gifts (if I have the time and energy to pull this off)
- Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm
- Homeopathic Arnica for healing of trauma/bruising to my nether regions
- My Brest Friend nursing pillow
- Warm, comfy clothes to sleep and nurse in.
- A postpartum clothes capsule wardrobe for after the first 3-4 first few weeks.
- Maternity pads for the first week
- Postpartum pads for the remaining 3-6 weeks of bleeding
Postpartum Survival Kit
I created a postpartum survival kit to place in the bathroom for immediate postpartum use. I was so grateful for everything in it!
NOT PICTURED: Padsicles!
Check out my NEWEST eBook: A Simple Guide to the Hard Parts of Labor! What's inside? ---->> ALL of my best information about getting through the hard parts of labor. Want a copy? Simply click the image above, follow the prompts, and it will be delivered to you today!