Energy bites are the perfect, quick, and healthy snack for the voracious appetite of the pregnant and postpartum mama. Mother Rising’s energy bites contain only 6 ingredients, are gluten and dairy free, but best of all, are laden with peanut butter and chocolate. Delicious!
But wait. It gets better.
Easy, No-Bake Energy Bites for Pregnancy and Postpartum
Energy Bites for the Freezer
Towards the end of each pregnancy I always, always cook up a bunch of food and freeze it. You know, to prepare for the baby apocalypse. After I had my second baby, my body decided to get appendicitis and I was forever grateful for that extra food in my freezer.
(If you’re curious, here’s some of my favorite foods to freeze for postpartum. I really like this broccoli chicken and rice casserole!)
One of my favorite things to make ahead and freeze are energy bites. I love frozen energy bites because 1) they are just even more ridiculously delicious when frozen and 2) if you make a big batch, freezing will allow them to keep longer (although these never last very long in our home).
Energy Bites with Coconut Oil
Another reason I love Mother Rising’s energy bites is because they are made with coconut oil, which is one of my favorite healthy fats for new moms. Not only does coconut oil make food taste good, help grow a healthy mama and baby, but coconut oil also makes breastmilk better. Neat, right?
Gluten Free, Dairy Free
Another reason these energy bites are rockin’ is because they are free of gluten and dairy. Not that anything is WRONG with these things, but it’s nice to give my body a break from them because they’re in EVERYTHING. A little diversity does a body good, you know?
Here are some other Mother Rising GF/DF recipes:
- Coconut Oil Chocolates
- Apple Cider Vinegar Salad Dressing
- Plantain Pancakes
- Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup
- Banana Egg Pancakes
- Protein Punch Pregnancy Smoothie
- The Best Lactation Cookies
Dates for an Easier Labor
Honestly, I thought the internet was just making stuff up when I read that eating dates during the last month of pregnancy could make for an easier labor. Well, apparently this is actually a thing. According to studies like this one, eating date fruit can help women have labors with less interventions like inductions and/or pitocin augmentation.
Sign me up! What could it hurt?! It’s a win-win.
Flaxseed and Oatmeal to Increase Milk Supply
Anecdotally, I have seen a dramatic increase in milk supply with one of my friends when she added oatmeal to her diet. She was breastfeeding her newborn baby, but also pumping to donate to a baby in need. When she started eating oatmeal her output increased by quite a few ounces daily! So crazy.
Are you ready for the recipe? Let’s get started.
Energy Bites for Pregnancy and Postpartum
- 7 medjool dates, pits removed (roughly 3/4 cup)
- 2 tbsp water + 1 tbsp water if your dates are on the dry side
- 1 cup gluten-free certified oats
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Add dates and water into the food processor.
- Process on high for 2-3 minutes, until dates start to form a paste. If your dates are a bit older and dry (whitish skin and feel a little leathery), you may need to add another tablespoon of water to help them blend.
- Then, add the gluten-free oats, peanut butter, flaxseed meal, cocoa powder, and coconut oil to the food processor.
- Pulse until a dough forms.
- Take a rounded tablespoon of dough at a time, and roll with your hands into a ball.
- Enjoy right then and there or freeze for a delightful treat later.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Medjool Dates, 2 Lbs - Soft Chewy Texture | Sweet Caramel Flavor | Farm Fresh
- Rolled Oats
- Crazy Richard’s Creamy Peanut Butter, 100% Natural, Non-GMO, Gluten-Free, 16 Ounce Jars (Pack of 6)
- Spectrum Essentials Organic Ground Flaxseed, 24 oz
- Viva Naturals #1 Best Selling Certified Organic Cacao Powder from Superior Criollo Beans, 1 LB Bag
- Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 16 Ounce